adsense-ofw1

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Bagong bayani?

This is another blog of mine that I failed to feature weeks ago. And such is due to the fact that I was weighing the pros and cons of publishing this article. But the "writer" in me and the desire to go out with the truth prevailed. So read on...

I was browsing online for forums where I can advertise my "ware" and one of the forums I visited was such a bummer. Reading through one of the threads I felt so disappointed about how some (again I wrote some, not all) Filipinos malign their kababayans who try to make a living abroad. I was forewarned about these type of characters but was still surprised that such people really do exists.  Hence, I tried to contact their adminsitrator and forum moderator but sad to say, they have not responded. Either, they don't have time (which is such a big fat lie...I mean why put up a website for Pinoys to exchange or express their views when they can't even respond to online users like me?) or perhaps they feel that it was easier to ignore such complaints.And to realise further that I was not the first member who complained of such demeanor. If this site is even concerned about their kababayans this is the least they can do… to hear out those who were hurt by bluntless accusations.

 I saw an ally with one of their members who viewed the site's forum content as I did (please refer to "I have been a member of...")   I believe in freedom of expression but just like the controversial RH bill, I believe that certain freedom of whatever needs to be moderated to make sure that an individual stays human and humane. I cannot emphasize more on the fact that whatever skin color we carry we must remember that we are responsible for each other. And because I am a Filipino I feel it is my duty to help our kababayans in whatever way we can. Roughly translated we can help in terms of an opportunity... the same kind that was given to us. But never to belittle even the smallest triumph of our kababayans. It's just so sad that even such triumphs can elicit envy and resentment. In our own vernacular this is how I wish to describe it "parang ayaw niyo nang magtira ng kaunting kaligayan sa ibang kababayan natin." For what? I cannot even start to fathom...

We work abroad because we want to provide our family a better life and be able to help our loved ones and other kababayans as well. That's the reason why when we are given that golden opportunity, we do our best to work and to find other means to earn extra. However, it is so sad to know that there are certain people who will start judging you (without really knowing who you are). Such people will even go to the extent of breaking your chances by breaking your spirit.

Being a part of the human race, I feel that this person or anyone else for that matter, does not earn the right to besmirch anybody especially anyone from his own country. We are all Overseas Filipino workers (supposedly the "bagong bayani" of our country) working our asses off in a country not our own. It is enough that some of our countrymen are treated inhumanely by these locals but to be treated the same and judged without any basis at all by a co-Filipino, just shows how little he respects his kababayans. Instead of helping, he would rather ridicule. Instead of encouraging his kababayans, he finds it more amusing to give out insults in a rather large platter. People like this particular member would rather dish out insults and test people as if he owns them. And people like this man would jump up with glee for the failure of another! I am also an ofw and I've worked as an HR Assistant for a big hotel and I make sure I treat everyone I come across with respect. Simply because I'd like other nationalities to see how good Filipino workers are and because I want to give our kababayans the same kind of opportunity I was given. This is called giving back! I hope something is done about this!

Perhaps this is not the proper venue for me to air my chagrin, but I would like our other kababayans to understand that we should not let others down the way this man has done. How can we expect our country to progress if other Filipinos are more keen on bringing their kababayans down rather than pushing them forward? The trouble with these kinds of people is that they only think of themselves and think of themselves so greatly that they can just say anything they want. Sites like these were supposedly put up to bring Pinoys together so that they can help other kababayans trying to reach out to other Pinoys abroad unfortunately, this is not the case. I really hope something is done because the future of our race and the betterment of the FIlipinos is dependent on how much we want to change and this change must start from ourselves!


No comments: