adsense-ofw1

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Kulawong Puso ng saging Recipe

An Auntie of mine is on a short vacation from the US, and requested me to cook for her one of the food posts she saw on my FB account. Who am I to refuse a simple request that would make my father's sibling happy? So let me share with you this simple recipe :)

Kulawong puso ng saging


For this recipe you will need the following:

2 banana heart, chopped or shredded (I chopped mine)
2 cups grated coconut
1 small onion, minced
3 pcs garlic, minced
1/4 cup vinegar, you can add another 1/4 cup
dash of pepper, more if you want 
salt
patis
a little sugar


Admittedly, this recipe needs a smooker. If you do not have access to one, I read from somewhere that you can use live coal to burn the coconut meat. I don't have both so I used my blowtorch and figured it may have the same effect.

Spread the grated coconut meat on an aluminum tray

1. So, spread the coconut meat on an aluminum tray and just blowtorch it until it becomes golden brown. Burning it a little is ok too! I love it when it is more burned than just golden brown. As this will give your Kulawo a kind of smoky flavor. 

2. In the meantime place the banana heart in a bowl with brine water and let it just stay there for about 5-7 mins. After which you may squeeze out the brine from the 'puso ng saging'. Wash the banana heart under running water and squeeze out any excess water. 

3. Now back to Mr. slightly burnt coconut 😃 
Put the slightly burned coconut meat into a bowl and pour vinegar on it. You can add more vinegar if you wish to, just not too much if you will only be using 2 banana hearts. Squeeze the milk from  the grated coconut into a clean bowl. then set aside.


4. Place the coconut milk, garlic, and onion in a pot on medium hear. Just let the coconut milk simmer without you stirring it. Remember that you poured vinegar into it earlier. You will need to patiently cook the vinegar before you can stir it like crazy! :D Let it boil then simmer it for about 5 minutes.

5. Add the banana heart and season with salt and pepper. Add a little sugar to balance the flavor and simmer it some more for about 10 minutes.


***This recipe can be cooked with or without meat. You can use minced pork or toasted alamang for added flavor. 


Let's eat!

Serve hot on equally hot rice! I can just imagine you all drooling! :D







No comments: