adsense-ofw1

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Soup it up!

This morning I woke up with a purpose! Nax! In the Philippines "nax" could mean anything. For me, at this moment, it is equivalent, but not limited, to an elbow jab plus an affirmation of how good it is to have woken up in the right frame of mind.

Anyway, I would like to talk about food! What particular food are you and your family into? I would like to think that in my family, my kind of food is their kind of food too! I know how to feed my family and I am aware of the kind of food they prefer. My children are more inclined to stews, sauces, sinigang (tamarind based soup), and of course the usual junk pizza and sweet spaghetti. These days as much as I would like to have the same appetite as theirs, I refrain to. Best part is that the whole family has done away with softdrinks since August last year! Plus we try to eat as much healthy food as possible. So…hooray!

Well today I would like to share with you a very healthy recipe. I learned the recipe early this year while watching a show on tv. It’s very nutritious and very easy to cook. The recipe is called Sinuwang. I don’t know much about its origins (region wise) but it can be compared to Bulanglang which uses almost the same ingredients except corn.

I did a little twist to the recipe and called it Crab and Corn Sinuwang. So for this deliciously healthy soup, you will need the following:


Featured at Mommy Mundo

1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, minced
I thumb-sized ginger, grated
1/4 medium-sized squash, sliced
1 can corn kernels, preserve corn water
Fish sauce
Ground white pepper
Salt (just a little)
1 bunch chili leaves

7 to 10 pieces crab sticks, shredded



Procedure

1. In a pot, heat chicken broth for about 5 minutes.
2. Toss in garlic, onions, and ginger.
3. After 2 minutes, toss in squash. Let boil.
4. Pour the entire contents of the corn in can into boiling pot.
5. Season with fish sauce, white pepper, and a little salt.
6. Lower heat and toss in shredded crab sticks.
7. Turn heat off when squash is tender. Toss in chili leaves and cover pot. Serve hot. You may add more chicken broth.

It's a versatile dish that instead of crab you can use chicken, beef, pork or mussels. You can add coconut milk to add more flavor. Let your imagination run wild!  😍

By the way this recipe was featured at  Mommy Mundo







No comments: